Friday, February 17, 2012

Happy Mardi Gras

It is February. It is 57 degrees outside with an expected high of mid to upper 60's. It is Winter, I believe. I just can't prove it by the weather. We pretty much missed Winter down here in the South for 2012. We have probably had less days under 40 than I can count on 1 hand. I love my cold weather, my fireplace, and being cozy. Okay, I admit that it has been nice not to need the heater or A/C running. Thank you for that at least, Mother Earth.

My husband is concerned his parade will be rained out (again). This always bums him out. I feel for him. Mardi Gras is his hobby. He loves the ride, the dance, and the festivities of Mardi Gras. He doesn't hunt, rarely fishes (I wish he'd fish - with ME), and other than puttering around in the yard or shop, he's always working. He actually enjoys throwing hundreds of dollars worth of "stuff" into the streets of Mobile for strangers to gather. I hope the weathermen are wrong. I hope it begins raining an hour after the Crewe of Columbus is safely tucked into their ball and it stops by noon on Saturday for all the organizations to have their parades.

You can ask almost anyone involved in Mardi Gras and they will tell you the ball is the "party," but they do it for the ride on the float or on the horse. It is the high they get from being the center of attention and spreading even a little superficial joy to people. No one is under any delusions. The riders know it is cheap junk (beads, bracelets, frisbees, cups, doubloons, moonpies, and those prized stuffed animals). The crowd also knows it is junk too. It is just mostly sparkly junk. The crowd loves the thrill of the catch. It isn't about keeping it. It is about obtaining it. Most people dole out their catches to the kids surrounding them whether they know them or not.

It is a time of camaraderie and fun. If you are like our family, you stake out a spot along the parade route. Some are better for families, some for teenagers, some (closer to bars) for young adults, and some close to hotels for visitors and maskers family and friends. You meet people you wouldn't never meet in your everyday life. You make friends and talk. Sometimes you make friends because your children beat you to it. You see these people almost everyday for 2 weeks, and then you don't see them again until the next year. This is because we are like Salmon and Sea Turtles. We love to return to "our spot." We get quite possessive over our spots along the parade route. We get there early just to make sure it is still there waiting for us.

I am hoping the Floral Parade, Knights of Mobile, The Order of Angels, and my husband's Mystics of Time all have beautiful and wonderful rides on Saturday without rain. He has waited all year for this as have many who do ride in all the organizations. It seems pointless and frivolous to many. There are many who complain there are better things to do with their money. But they do not see the sparkle in the eyes of the kids who love the fact they were picked out of a crowd of tens of thousands to receive a big fluffy, snugly Teddy Bear. Sure there are other views for many of the riders and yes, they talk about "that girl on such and such street....did you see her?" Those kinds of things always make my husband blush. I think that's sweet it still makes him blush. He's been doing this for 34 years now. You would think he would have seen it all. He does it for the kids and to be able to spread a little joy and happiness.

I know what he means. When I was a little girl and would go to the parades, if I caught something special I would keep it for years and I would always be able to tell you I got if from this float at this parade. I did not grow up as my kids did. I never knew anyone in parading organizations. I never had the luck of painting "Hey Bob...." on a sign and knowing Bob would recognize it and throw me something. My children have grown up in Mardi Gras. The huge float barns that were such a mystery to me are old hat to them. Those buildings that hold the floats still hold magic for me. I love to see them up close and admire the artistry it takes to put one together, much less 18 or 20! My kids always loved to get the coolest new throw straight from Dad - not tempting fate that they would miss the catch. It is normal for my kids to expect Mom and Dad to get the hotel room for the night of the parade. It just makes sense to be safer. You don't drink even a little and drive. Walking to the hotel just makes sense. You are tired, but the fresh air does revive you and if it is raining, there is usually a car waiting to drop you at the hotel for $10. It was a very smancy thing for me to learn to spend a night in a hotel when I live in town. Yes it costs money, but as I said before, my husband doesn't belong to a hunting club or have to pay for fishing gear so it is his choice.

Here I sit, blogging about it when I should be packing a bag. We will take our stuff and snacks and drinks to the hotel. We will be having a beautiful party tomorrow night. It really does make every girl feel like Cinderella, and what guy doesn't look good in White Tie and Tails! I'm always a little jealous that the husband gets to wear a costume and his hair can be messed up no one cares, but I have to look "pretty." I wouldn't have it any other way. Verna Dean, Verna, and Dean (the Dragons) may or may not ride through Mobile's streets tomorrow night, but we will have a most spectacular ball in their honor regardless. Happy Mardi Gras 2012. Le mardi gras, je me tourne 50 et je suis vraiment heureux à ce sujet!

No comments:

Post a Comment